Snacking will help your body stay fuelled and energized. In order to reap its healthful benefits, what you consume and level of activity are important factors into how snacking can support or impede your fitness goals. If you’re sedentary person, sticking to one or no snacks could be the best course of action. Alternatively, if you’re a person who’s active and on-the-go, 2-3 snacks/day may suffice for your lifestyle.
Below are the TOP 4 reasons why snacking can be advantageous to your health and wellness:
- Boosts your metabolism – if you’re eating clean meals every few hours, your body is in a state of burning food for fuel. Thus, amping your metabolism and turning it into a calorie-burning machine.
- Weight loss & satisfaction – when your body and mind are properly fuelled, there is less chance of overeating and/or reaching for indulgent treats to satisfy your sweet/savoury tooth.
- Stabilizes blood sugar – a regular supply of nutrients from food helps to keep sugar levels maintained and avoids mood/energy swings.
- Regulates your appetite – if you’re following a wholesome diet with the addition of snacks, the body will climatize to your healthy-eating regimen like clockwork. Thus, allowing you to understand when and how your body needs to be appropriately fed.
Keep these TIPS top of mind when reaching for your next snack:
- Consume protein-rich, fibrous carbs and healthy-fat snacks to fuel your body + keep you full until your next meal
- Avoid empty calories, high-sugar, processed foods, i.e.. cookies, candy cakes, soda
- Snacks should be about 200-300 calories, 10-20 grams of protein, depending on activity level
- Portion control is key. A snack is a snack, not a meal – think single-serving packs and/or snack bags
- Meal prep – try to pack snacks ahead of time, especially if out and about. If hunger strikes, you can strike back with healthy foods to feed the monster.
- Be mindful – be aware of hunger cues and mindless snacking, i.e. in front of TV
Are you looking to get your diet back on track with a nutrition/fitness coach that’ll steer you in the right direction? Take a look at my nutrition/fitness programs and let’s get to work customizing a meal plan that will achieve, sustain your health goals!