Keep your pearly whites sparkling clean to maintain a healthy body and strong mind!
Here are some flossin’, good reasons why good dental hygiene should be top of mind and behind your toothbrush:
- Decrease plaque build-up that may cause inflammation, which could lead to gum–related diseases
- Prevent gum diseases such as gingivitis and periodontitis by removing nasty bacteria that can live in your mouth
- Decrease the risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and even dementia, which may be correlated to bacteria making its way through the bloodstream
- Minimize the likeliness of cavities, and resulting fillings
- Reduce tooth sensitivity and decay – exposure to acidic foods may attack tooth enamel; a consistent dental routine may help alleviate this
- And, of course, FRESH, clean smelling breath! Ahhh…
Implement these simple, healthful tips to clean up your dental routine:
- Brush twice a day for optimum preventive dental care
- Floss after every meal to remove food particles that are lodged in between teeth; not doing so, can lead to bacteria growth
- Drink water between meals to keep toxins flowing out of the body
- Brush gently to reduce the risk of enamel wear-down as well as the onset of sensitivity
- Lightly brush from gum line, down, for upper teeth; gum line, up, for lower teeth. This will aid in preventing recession of your gum line and possibly exposing tooth root
- Avoid and/or limit acidic foods, as this can contribute to tooth sensitivity – use desensitizing tooth paste, if you’re experiencing sensitivity
- Visit a dentist on a regular basis to ensure your teeth are in tip-top shape!
Understanding the importance of good, oral hygiene is crucial in realizing the significance teeth play in overall health. Above and beyond the obvious visual and functional reasons, teeth are a glimpse into what truly lies beneath the surface of our bodies; a window into your health and well-being. Take the time and effort to make your dental health an essential part of your daily regimen – your teeth, mind and body will thank you for it!