Coconuts have received rave reviews in recent years over its many health benefits from improving metabolic health, lowering the risk of heart disease, boosting brain function to maintaining healthy, youthful skin and promoting oral health; it’s no wonder we’re all jumping on the bandwagon.
Below is a delicious, healthy recipe that’ll make you go crazy for coconuts – enjoy!
Buying Tip: Purchase VIRGIN coconut oil. It’s unrefined (not from chemically bleached and deodorized coconut meat), but instead, extracted from the fruit of fresh, mature coconuts without using high temperatures or chemicals.
COCONUT OATMEAL MACAROONS
Duration 25mins Cook Time 15mins Prep Time 10mins Servings 24 Macaroons
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce*
3 cups oats
1 scoop protein powder (any flavor you fancy!)
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 TSP baking soda
2 egg whites
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1 TSP vanilla
¼ cup agave syrup
¾ cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
½ cup raisins**
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
3. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg whites, melted coconut oil, vanilla and agave syrup, until well combined.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix well.
5. Fold in coconut and raisins.
6. Using a scoop or tablespoon, form mixture into mounds than place onto baking sheet, spacing about 1 inch apart.
7. Bake for 15 mins, or until lightly browned on top and bottom.
8. Let macaroons cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to plate.
* 1 cup of pumpkin puree
** ½ cup of cranberries or dark chocolate chips