An easy and delicious scone recipe – minus all the butter and sugar! Enjoy this protein-packed treat that is moist, soft with just the right amount of crisp, like traditional scones! Perfect for breakfast or to appease your sweet tooth.
- 1 cup all-purpose or flour of choice
- 1 ⅓ cups oat flour
- ½ cup vanilla protein powder (or flavour of choice)
- 1tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup almond milk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut oil (must be very cold, grated)
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries or frozen (not thawed)
- Preheat the oven to 450F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, oats, protein powder, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the apple sauce, plant milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract. Pout into flour mixture. Add cold grated coconut oil – mix until it comes together. Do not overwork – dough should be on the soft, almost sticky!
- Toss blueberries with 1 tbsp of flour to coat. Fold into dough.
- Put dough onto baking pan, dust with a small amount of flour, gently shape into a circle. Cut into 10 equal pieces. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until golden brown, crisp on the outside.
- Top with greek yogurt or nut butter to amp-up your protein intake!
Coconut oil must be solid, NOT soft. Put in freezer for 30 minutes, for easier grating.
Makes 10. Calories 138, Carbs 20g, Fat 4g, Protein 5g