We all need a little revitalization every now and again to simulate our senses, energize our spirit and put a spring in our step. Below are ten great ways to recharge, refocus and steer you in the right direction to a healthier, happier you.
1. Slay The Sweets – Although decadent treats can be oh-so yummy, overindulgence may negatively impact your health. Along with spiking blood sugar levels, it can contribute to weight gain, which may lead to other health ailments. And, don’t be fooled by “sweeteners”, as sucralose has been shown to adversely alter the good bacteria in the gut, and aspartame can contribute to chronic illness. Yikes! Cut it out of your diet. Look for substitutes to your favorite sugary treats or drinks. Enjoy whole fruits, sparkling water flavored with orange/lemon and a squirt of Stevia or dehydrate fruit and make your own fruit rollups.
2. Popeye Power – Add greens to your diet. Spinach (Popeye’s favorite), kale, collards, broccoli, dandelion, whatever dark green veggies you desire. Chock-full of wholesome nutrients, vitamins and minerals, consuming greens as part of your healthy eating regimen will help to protect against heart disease, diabetes and even cancer. It’s no wonder they’re considered a nutritional powerhouse.
3. Even More Green – Drink up some green tea. Its nutritional antioxidant properties fight off free radicals in the body, improves brain function and may assist in your fat loss goals. Similarly, it can assist in the prevention of inflammation and keeps that nasty plaque-clogging cholesterol under control.
4. Fall in Love With Your Heart – Do some cardio, as it great for your ticker. It opens the arteries, gets the blood flowing and heart pumping. And shhh… interval training will give your body an after-burn for up to 8 hours. That means following a heart thumping session, you’re still burning calories, just by going about your day.
5. Pump Some Iron – Implement resistance training into your daily regimen as it’s beneficial for bone and joint health, building strength and burning fat. One pound of muscle burns 50 calories, and that’s just at rest. And ladies, contrary to popular misconception, lifting weights will not make you big and bulky. It would take years with lots of training, supplementation and a strict diet to make you huge like Hercules. So, get to pumping those weights!
6. Stretch – Ahhh, your body will love you for it. Sitting behind a desk all day or doing repetitive movements on the job, can tighten and strain the tendons and muscles. Stretch them out. There are many benefits such as increasing flexibility, mobility and blood circulation. Get yourself in the downward dog position and STRRRETCH, stretch those muscles.
7. A Little R & R – Rest and relaxation is revitalizing for the mind and body. Whether you decide to be in your PJ’s all day, sleep, watch movies or lounge at the spa, you need this time to rejuvenate.Sleep in particular, contributes to better moods, memory and mental alertness, negates many diseases and health problems. So, pull down the blinds or have a cat nap on the massage table, it’s great for your overall health.
8. Purge – Get rid of old clothes and shoes that have been collecting dust and taking space. Yes, even those you’re keeping “just in case”. If you haven’t used them in couple years, chuck it in the garbage or donation bin – YOU WILL NOT USE IT. Out with the old, in with the new. It’s amazing how good it feels to purge and purchase some new digs for your wardrobe. Now, go out and get that new knock out dress and strut your stuff!
9. Be a Good Person – Spread a little love. Be nice and compassionate to others. Encourage, compliment, motivate and boost somebody up – it will have an invigorating effect on the soul. There may be times when someone needs a shoulder to cry on or a little kick in the pants; be that person with good intentions and empathy to share some love and positive vibes.
10. Live A Little – Dust off the bucket list and start putting them into action. Whether it’s skydiving, traveling to a foreign country, learning another language or perfecting the art of making a soufflé, embrace the opportunities that are completely open to you. After all, life is an open door. Go through it, look around and experience what it has to offer!